Welcome to Centers and Squares

As a Cambridge real estate agent, the city squares of Cambridge, Somerville and Medford and the town centers of Arlington, Watertown and Belmont, Massachusetts are my home turf. And as a lifelong New Englander who’s lived within twenty miles of Boston most of my life, I can introduce you to other nearby towns as we search for your new home. If you’re planning to sell your home in Cambridge, MA or nearby you’ll find plenty of info about the home selling process here too. Questions? Send me an email or call me at 617-504-1737.

What Do I Need to Bring to the Closing?

What do I need to bring to my real estate closing?

What do I need to bring to my real estate closing?

If you’re buying or selling  a house or a condo in Massachusetts you’re probably wondering what you need to bring to the closing.

The real estate “closing” is sometimes referred to as “passing papers” – and no wonder – if there’s a mortgage involved there’ll be a lot of papers getting passed around the table.  Nowadays, selling a house or condo in Massachusetts involves a great deal of paperwork.  So come to the closing table with a limber wrist – you’ll be signing your name over and over.  Here’s what else you need:

What Do I Need to Bring to the Closing When I’m Buying a House or Condo in Massachusetts?

Photo ID – you’ll need a photo ID – usually a driver’s license or passport.  It’s not a bad idea to bring a second form of ID since every so often a lender asks for a 2nd form of identification

A Bank Check – Unless you’ve arranged in advance to wire the funds you need for the closing you’ll need to get a bank check (aka a treasurer’s check) for the money you need.  This is not the same as a personal check from your checkbook. 

Your attorney or her paralegal will tell you the amount you need a day or so before the closing.  Ask how the bank should make out the check – typically you’ll be asked to have the bank make it out to you.  At the closing you’ll sign the check over to the lender.

Your Checkbook – It’s not uncommon to need to write a small check at the closing – perhaps an adjustment is made on the settlement statement, a charge has been omitted, or the amount of your bank check was estimated. More and more often people aren’t carrying a checkbook so be sure to bring yours with you.

Your attorney or lender may require you to bring something else but these are the must-haves at every closing.

What Do I Need to Bring to the Closing When I’m Selling a Condominium or House in Massachusetts?

Your job as seller is much easier at the closing – you’ve only a few documents to sign.  Here’s what you’ll need to bring:

Photo ID – a driver’s license or passport

Your Checkbook – Usually you’re getting the check, not writing one, when you’re selling your property. But just in case some small adjustment needs to be made it’s a good idea to have a check or your checkbook with you at the closing.

The Keys – You’ll be passing along the keys to the new owners.  Don’t forget the mailbox key and the garage door clicker (or leave them in the house or condo).

Ask your attorney if there’s anything else you’re required to bring.

Categories: Buyer Info, Seller Info

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2008 - 2011 Centers And Squares     Agent Login     Design by Real Estate Tomato     Powered by Tomato Real Estate Blogs

Real Estate Tomato